Friday, May 21, 2010

How much notice does a landlord have to give in PG County Maryland?

I live in a SFH in Prince George's County in Maryland. The house has been sold and the landlord asked me on 12/31 to be out by 1/5. After discussions with other tenants, I have learned that this is illegal especially since I have a month-to-month written lease with the landlord. I really don't want to go to court but how do I make sure I am protected. I gave the landlord my 30 day notice effective 1/1 b/c I planned to move anyway but I haven't found a place yet! We agreed that the landlord would pro-rate me for January rent and return my security deposit but am I entitled to anything more? I'm thinking at least my December rent since I wasn't given proper notice. Please help and let me know which laws I should be consulting. Thanks!

How much notice does a landlord have to give in PG County Maryland?
I'm not sure how it is in Maryland, but i would guess since you gave the landlord a 30 days notice efffective 1/1 and he accepted. All rights would be voided. 1 party or the other has to give atleast a 30 day notice.
Reply:Maryland law clearly states that a 30 day WRITTEN notice must be give by either party. No...your not entitled to a free months rent for not receiving proper notice.


No comments:

Post a Comment