Friday, July 31, 2009

Will covering my window with an electrostatic A/C filter reduce dust while maintaining clean air exchange?

I think that I may be sensitive to outdoor dust near my apartment but I want to maintain fresh air exchange (otherwise it gets "stuffy"). Recently I've thought of putting an electrostatic air conditioner filter (3M Filtrete) to cover my windows (it only costs $8 per filter and it's said to last 2 months). While the filter should reduce airflow somewhat I think I'll still be able to get enough air exchange with it.





Question: If any water/humidity comes into contact with the filter (the filter was originally designed for an air conditioner) will that cause it to lose its electrostatic properties (ie. will it become less effective at trapping dust?).





Is there anything else I should consider before putting in the filter (any undesired effects?)??

Will covering my window with an electrostatic A/C filter reduce dust while maintaining clean air exchange?
Anything that covers your windows will reduce air flow dramatically and you will not get the desired result. Remember in a heating/air conditioning systems air is forced thru the filter with a high volume fan - an element that will be missing in your plan.





The term electrostatic is misleading in this context. A true electrostatic filter works by capturing dust by charging it electrically and passing the charged dust over an oppositely chaged portionof the filter. As you can see you will not get true "electrostatic" filtering in your plan.





Your best option would be to try the free standing electrostatic-type filters offered by companies like Sharper Image - expensive but effective.

song titles

No comments:

Post a Comment